Wednesday, December 15, 2010

About Lolo and Koko

About Lolo: My name is Lolo and together with my friend Koko, I am setting out for a Paleo lifestyle. We are starting with 30 perfect Paleo days.

I am a 30-something (remember that show? and how old they seemed? in my head, Peter Horton was like 75) woman who has had a crap year. Besides suffering with a diagnosis of infertility (on the husband side), we've also been dealing with some unrelated drama that has felt insurmountable. After trying for a baby for 2 1/2 years, we are beginning to do IVF this winter. I am mostly nervous, feeling defeated, unhappy and resentful about it. But, it is what it is. After reading a review of the Paleo Solution this fall, I decided to try it out. It was the first time that I felt peaceful, calm, I was sleeping better, running faster and feeling more awake and alert during the day.

So, 30 days (for me beginning on January 2nd). No alcohol, no dairy, no processed food, no wheat, no sugar, no coffee. Tea, fruit, potatoes, vegetables, eggs, meat, chicken, fish and water.

About Koko: I am also 30-something and a recent suburban transplant trying to make it back to my walkable city. A wellness industry professional for more years than is youthful to admit, I've been an avid student of nutrition since my malnourished teens. And oh, what mistakes I have made.

I've eaten: SAD, lacto-ovo vegetarian, vegan, junk-food-falafel-only vegan, Taco Bell-and-Jagermeister vegan, raw vegan, raw, macrobiotic, espresso and cigarettes, French fat fallacy, all-cheese-all- the-time, the coffee-carrot-pretzel diet, among others.

My life changed and I enjoyed much better mental and physical health following the comparatively fantastic Weston A. Price style. And for one brief 2-3 month period this past fall, I had a life-changing experiment with paleo / primal eating that left me feeling better than anything has before or since.

I live in a cute Bay Area town with my muffin-loving Dubious Husband and my butter-loving progeny, the (Soon-to-be) Paleo Kid.  I look forward to 30 days of full paleo eating (though you can have my coffee when you pry it from my cold, dead hands). I start 1 January with great enthusiasm and not a little trepidation at the thought of a month without even a teeny sip of wine.

No comments:

Post a Comment